Saturday, June 03, 2006

Summer Reading List



"The Glass Palace," by Amitav Ghosh
"Moby Dick," by Herman Melville
"On the Road," by Jack Kerouac
"Mexico City Blues," by Jack Kerouac
"Guerrilla Warfare," by Che Guevara
"The Selected Poems of Federico Garcia Lorca," by FG Lorca
"Soccer in Sun and Shadow," by Eduardo Galeano
"Discourse on Method" and "Meditations on First Philosophy," by Descartes

Note: Fanon and Milton got cut at the last second when I realized there's just no way I could have made it to them.

Also, for the record, this is my third time reading "On the Road." It's good for the soul. I also plan to do some writing this summer, and Kerouac has a way of putting me in the mood. Kerouac's own advice to a friend about writing: "Don't be afraid to try benzedrine: start writing about 30 minutes after you've taken benzedrine, have mucho hot coffee, cup after cup, beside you (a Samovar!) and your cigarettes right there at hand...and wirte almost with your eyes closed, not thinking of punctuation or capitals or anything, that comes later when you type of doublespace for manuscript neat."

3 Comments:

Blogger Casey Acierno said...

[1] lorca? i for sure would've pegged you as the neruda type. lorca's wonderful in his own way -- his poems about the gitanos are gorgeous, but sometimes they get a bit too surrealist for me.
[2] the picture you had up before: so myspace.
[3] no wonder you were worried about the travel -- eek! i was sitting here fretting [i'm turning maternal] waiting for you to get mugged or something. be careful!
[4] the photos are stunning. it truly is a different world over there [says the girl who lives at starbucks].
[5] miss you.

[casey]

2:25 PM  
Blogger Soe Lin Aung said...

You would respond to the Reading List post. And have patience! I've read neither Neruda or Lorca, but my Lit Hum teacher last year was all about my man FGL. Plus I bought Lorca on the street - it's a City Lights paperback, so it's gotta be good. I'll be on guard for surrealism. In the fine arts I've never been a fan of it, but is Marquez considered surrealist? If magical realism is surrealism, then I love (literary) surrealism.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Casey Acierno said...

as far as i understand it: magical realism comes from a [strictly latin-american] heritage that was, at first, strongly influenced by european surrealism ... the main difference, though, is whereas surrealism can be quirky-for-art's-sake, magical realism is more the magical as a normal way of life. the events that transpire aren't questioned or noted as being self-consciously bizarre. if that makes sense.

keep me updated on the reading ... i'm looking forward to hearing your lorca thoughts.

[casey]

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home