Sunday, July 23, 2006

This Bracelet Is A Blessing


When my supervisor arrived at our office today, she ushered me into her office with a smile on her face: "I have something for you, I have something for you." She pulled a chair out for me and took out of her pocket two bits of thread. "I got these for you and (the other intern) this weekend." They were two bracelets, both made of white string. She said they represent prayers for Karen culture - hope for the future, congealed in a humble, symbolic adornment. "They have already been blessed, so I won't say anything now," she explained. She slipped the string around my wrist, tied it, and pulled off the extra length. As has happened many times so far this summer, I was left speechless. After barely stammering a "Thank you," I stared (and stare now) at the threads circling my right wrist. It is a small bracelet, thin and beautiful - a striking contrast to the bulky watch on my other wrist. Power and size, strength and character...


(Another time, perhaps, I will explain these other photos. At this point, I will merely note that they are, in fact, pictures I took myself.)



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soe Lin (Geoff):

What's up? This is Rich in Seattle. Nice blog. Hope all is well. Eat some Thai food for me.

3:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home